Shavers capable of corded operation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shavers capable of corded operation.

One of the lifetime limitations on most current electric shavers is the battery life if used and recharged regularly. Currently the Norelco 1100 series is listed as corded only use per Amazon and the series 2000 model S1211 and series 3000 model S3310 will operate corded or cordless. One of the older higher end Philips Norelco shavers with corded and cordless operation is the Speed XL series 8171 XL and 8175XL shavers. The whole Speed XL series may be so capable. All of these can take HQ9 heads, my favorite for current single piece older style Philips Norelco shavers that do not take HQ56 heads. I picked up the used Speed XL from shopgoodwill.com for a much lower price than available from eBay sellers where it goes for ridiculous prices in NOS listings and even the used ones are in the $70 range usually. Mine looks basically new but the head area was filthy as received. Cleaned it and installed new heads. Battery gives about 55 minutes run time from fully charged per my test. Unless the battery fails by shorting out these should continue to work corded even if the battery no longer holds appreciable charge I believe.

If looking for an older Philips Norelco razor model and want to check the description, the majority have PDFs of the manual available from the Philips web site. Some also have a PDF of a descriptive sales brochure available too for download. Models already obsolete when the web site was started do not have manuals available as best as I can determine.

I also have one Chinese Philips Norelco semi clone shaver, removable head style, bought on Amazon. This is a Vifycim Model YQ500 shaver with digital charge readout and seems quite nice, particularly for the price of about $33 USD. USB charging with a custom cable as the shaver plug is not USB standard. Runs while hooked up for charging. The head interface is Norelco compatible and the head itself is compatible with Philips Norelco HQ56 cutter assemblies if you do not like the dual track Chinese cutters. The compatibility means though that almost any Philips Norelco snap on head should fit.

Please list other current shavers of all makes capable of corded operation.

One that I own, the Philishave S3552/89 (rechargeable), can be used corded, as well. I picked mine up brand-new on ebay for $24 USD. With shipping, it was $38.01 USD. It's still available, too, albeit from a different seller. There's only one left.

https://tinyurl.com/philishave

Jim

Comment

Nice Jim and a good price. One thing that I like with the Speed XL model I have is the 5 LED charge level indication along with a head change led and a cleaning reminder LED. Many came originally with the HQ9 heads too, as did mine per the downloaded manual.

Comment

Yes. Your Speed XL reminds me of the SmartTouch XL 9160XL I had. If I remember correctly, the only difference between the Speed XL and SmartTouch XL models was the SmartTouch XL models had a personal comfort control dial just under the shaving heads allowing the user to adjust the closeness of the razor for your specific skin type. Great razor. It also could be used while corded, as well. I gave it to my father-in-law when my wife and I visited him in Mexico.

Jim

Click image for larger version

Name:	pcc.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	121

Comment

Interesting. I was not aware of that model. How effective was it? I note that particular feature was discontinued so the skin sensitivity adjustment on current high end Philips razors is done via a cutter rotation speed change, with 2 or 3 speed choices. Per a electric shaver review site I have visited, the reviewer felt that the different speeds just changed how long it took to do a shave rather than changing the irritation level. On Philips rotary shavers I think that head design has the most effect.

https://shavercheck.com/

Comment

The razor worked very well. I didn't notice a huge difference at all with the different comfort control settings, but overall it performed very well.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X